Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My Life Story

I pulled my first question out of my jar:

Did you have roommates? Tell about them and the things you learned living with others (besides your immediate family).

I went to Snow College right after high school. Two of my friends from high school and I went down one weekend and found a place together. We found a place called The Rez. It had two separate apartments, one on top and one on bottom, both had four bedrooms and two bathrooms. So, I was one of 8 girls in my apartment. I shared with someone I didn't know before the school year, Dori. She was a lot of fun but would stay with her mom or dad each weekend because she worked and sometimes during the week. We really didn't see her much because of this. She also graduated after the Winter quarter so I had my own room for the Spring quarter. This was the first time in my life I had my own room and I loved it!

One of the funny things about our apartment was apparently the girls who lived there the year prior apparently caused a lot of trouble. The police were called out due to domestic issues over who owned a bottle of catsup. Compared to them, we were all angels and even if we broke the rules, the landlords really didn't seem to care. They really liked us, even though they lived right next door and saw everything we did.

The second year I chose to live in the same place, same room. This time I knew my roommate from the year before. She was on my colorguard. She worked a lot too, but we still had fun. She left after Fall quarter, so I had my own room for Winter quarter. But, my best friend, Angela, came down for Spring quarter and shared a room with me. That was an interesting quarter. That is when I met Kenyon...that is another story!

One of the biggest things I learned was needing to be tolerant of others and their space. There were several times when I would be tired and would go to bed even though several of "the guys" were over visiting. There were times when I felt that I got along very well with my roommates, and other times I felt very left out. I had my own group of friends that I would go and hang out with, leaving to start playing at times when some were going to bed.

I also learned that no matter how close you are as friends, sometimes it really isn't a good idea to live together. I do not keep in touch with the two friends from high school that lived in that apartment with me, mostly my choice.

I loved my years at Snow, and looking back see them as some of the best years of my life, truly. Sometimes I wish I could do them again, and not necessarily any different. Even relationships that didn't work out taught me a lot. I learned a lot about myself and what true friendships really are. I am grateful for the few very good friends I have. I may not have been extremely popular, but I always felt that I had someone I could confide in.

0 comments: