Friday, February 1, 2008

Flashback Friday - Colorguard

I was trying to think of what to do for a Flashback Friday and brought up my profile to listen to while I work on it. The first song that came up was Flood....this reminded me of colorguard.

Britta did her Flashback Friday on soccer. I was very involved in soccer through my sophmore year of high school. I was also on the colorguard that year and soccer and colorguard had some big conflicts. There were three of us on both teams that year. Even though soccer had been my activity for many years, colorguard took my priority. I fell in love with it immediately! We weren't very good, but we enjoyed ourselves, especially when it came to Winterguard.

In the fall we had to deal with the band, the football field, the cold, etc. In the winter, it was just us on the basketball floor, INDOORS! We could choose our music for what we wanted to do, not what the band director chose...which was usually pretty lame!

I remember all the shows we did except for fall show my sophmore year. It was probably so bad that I blocked it out. We had these black dresses that we used for Fall show and Winterguard for two full seasons. We just adapted things slightly, like adding a sheer sparkly skirt, a cape or a silver sequin vest that made us look like a disco ball. I hated that dress, but it is great for Halloween!

My junior year I was a squad leader and my senior year Angela and I were the flag captains. Basically it meant that I could tell people what to do when the captains weren't around. My junior year Kearns got Michele James for the advisor for Winterguard. Things really started to turn around and by the next year we were kicked out of B class (the lowest class) because we were too good! My senior year was the only year she spent in A class before moving the guard to Open. My sisters were all so lucky for this!

After high school I was on the colorguard at Snow. I co-wrote the show my freshman year and was the President of the Colorguard Club my sophomore year. That year I also helped Angela who was the advisor for Copper Hills High School. I continued to go to the competitions and support my sisters who were doing shows I only dreamed of.

Several years later, Michele left Kearns and went to American Fork and this left the guard in bad shape. Ranna was a senior and she and her best friend were the captains. They asked Angela and I to come and help. This was a fun year and why Flood reminds me of colorguard. Part of the reason it was so fun is the time I was able to spend with Ranna. She and Latecia were fabulous captains and I built a relationship with my sister that I wouldn't trade. Since we are 6 years apart we hadn't had much of an opportunity to spend a lot of time together. She is the one person in the family that truly has any physical similarities to me. We have the same build and even sound similar, especially on the phone. We have even had people in the store ask if we are twins....

The year after Ranna graduated I continued being the advisor at Kearns but left mid-year due to many conflicts with the new band director (Howie decided he didn't want that job anymore), school staff and parents. I did not have the support from any of these groups of people that I had the previous year and I decided that it was not worth my emotional health. Since then, the only involvement I have really had was going to the colorguard competitions every year starting in February.

This is such a brief overview of my life in colorguard....I could write a blog for each show. And, one of these days I will have my own colorguard gym for everyone who wants to come play!

0 comments: