Monday, February 9, 2009

Nasty Nose

Warning! Rambling post that may not be interesting to anyone at all. Read at your own risk of TMI!

Growing up I never really had many issues with getting sick, except for tonsillitis, which I got frequently. I frequently had 100% attendance in school and HATED missing school. I know, I know, let me do this for you...GEEK!!! Please don't misunderstand, I didn't like school, I just hated missing it. There was this thing with my family, good grades were important.

Tangent alert!

Back to the story at hand. The last few years I have really had some issues with sinus infections, among other issues (my immune system is not what it once was). I remember Britta having a lot of sinus problems as we were teenagers and her having surgery to fix those problems, but never really thought much about it past that. I didn't really understand them and was in my own world since I was graduating high school and going off to college. Sheesh, how insensitive could I be? Now however, I almost always have some sort of nasal issue. What was that called? Karma?

The past week I have struggled with "the cold of death" and I'm pretty sure it was at least a borderline sinus infection but I didn't want to go to the doctor for antibiotics. With my immune system so shot I need every chance I can get for my body to re-train itself to fight. Antibiotics won't give it that chance. So, I've been doing what I can to get rid of it naturally. Last year one of my chiropractors mentioned getting a neti pot. I hadn't ever heard of them but decided to give it a try.

If you haven't heard of a neti pot, look it up. You will find a lot about it. But the important part is, pick one up. It is amazing! Yes, it feels weird. Yes, it is gross. No, you will not find a medicine that clears out more than this will and as quickly (although guifenesin does really help). This week I have reminded myself how much of a difference it makes. I haven't been using it on a regular basis and I really need to. Doing so may prevent sinus infections from ever creeping in and help me avoid surgery (we all know I don't need another one of those). Not to mention saving money and time. Salt and water are much cheaper than a doctor visit and a perscription.

And there you have it folks. The mindless, late night ramblings of me. Isn't your life now complete? Maybe now I can have the energy to save the world. Too much? Fine. Have it your way. I'll just go to bed now.

Killjoy.

1 comments:

Britta said...

My friend recently borrowed my neti pot, and actually just returned it today. It would have been nice for my continual sinus infections